Friday, August 19, 2011

Keeping My Hands Busy During a Creative Rut

I’ve been struggling with what I can write about lately. I feel like Sara’s doing all the heavy lifting on the blog these days while I sit back during my free time watching endless hours of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (that show is on a lot). It’s time to face facts. I am pretty much in a creative rut.

Even when in a rut, I typically need to keep my hands busy. So what do I do? I turn to my scrap basket. I have a vague idea to make a Jewel Box Quilt which looks something like this:


To get there, I need to turn this:

into piles of 2 inch and 3-7/8 inch squares.

I have a number of friends who save scraps for me that they think are too small (aka “trash”). If I can get a 1.5 x 1.5 inch square out of it, I think it’s usable. Every night when I get home from work, I’ve been spending an hour or so at my ironing board pressing scraps to get them ready to cut into squares.

After dinner, I settle in for the night with Guy Fieri (or Project Runway or Toddlers & Tiaras, etc.—whatever it is, it would not be considered “intellectual”). I cut using a lap desk with a small cutting mat on it. This works well since I’m only working with scraps, not large pieces of fabric. If you have a bunch of scraps you need to cut down, give it a shot.

When I’m good and tired of cutting squares, I’ll start sewing. This quilt’s size will be dictated by how many squares I cut before I get bored with it. It could be a lap quilt, or it might be king sized. Who knows?!

I’ll update you when the sewing starts. As for tonight, it's my rotary cutter and the Food Network once again.

Pin It

2 comments:

Regina said...

I do that, too... I find the cutting relaxing - and kind of get a kick out of the challenge of how many little squares I can get out of scraps I have. Just don't try cutting while watching Toy Story 3 - at least at the end! One of these days I will actually use some of them!

MissesStitches said...

I like working at small things while I'm watching tv, too. Cutting, like you're doing, or sorting fabrics, or whatever. I find that making myself look up now and again at the tv keeps my neck from getting stiff. Keeps me from getting too bored, too.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...