Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Garage Sale Score on Vintage Crochet Booklets

On a recent trip "home" (at least my original home aka Minnesota), I spent a lot of time garage saling with my friend Sue.  At one garage sale, I scored a big bag of vintage crochet booklets that date back to the late-1930's for just a $1!  Sure, to most this was a bag of musty junk, but to me, it was pure gold.

I got not one, but two 1940's books on crocheted handbags.

I love the detail of the crocheted zipper pull.

The bags in this book are made of cordet, soutache, gimp, ribbon braid, bagtwist, straw, plastic and wool; innovative.
 This book is filled with table coverings of all types.
I don't know about you, but I usually dress this elegantly when I sit down to crochet.
 There were two books on edgings.
I always wonder how you could really use one of these, but I guess ladies don't really honk into their hankies, do they?

I love the crazy color schemes on these hankies.
 The final two are for household items and pot holders.
This one is called "Gay Gadgets."  Since when are slippers considered gadgets?

Here's an example from the "Gay Gadgets" book.  That pumpkin pin cushion is pretty cute.

I love the graphic on this 1939 booklet!

The graphics inside are just as good.
This is just a sampling of the booklet I got.  There were about three times this many dating all the way up to the 1970's.  I didn't bring much back from my garage saling adventures with Sue, but this and the time with my old friend made it all worthwhile.

Pin It

2 comments:

Mommarock said...

SCORE!! Those kind of books and patterns are so hard to find.. I'm extremely jealous.. :)

Terri said...

So nice to see those booklets are still around. I hate that people just throw away things they, themselves, don't want anymore. There are lots of reasons to give away or sell at a rummage sale, and "recycle & reuse" are better than fill the landfill. Besides lots of the projects will be fun!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...