Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lavender Linen Water with Recipe


I’m off to quilt camp in a couple of weeks. I thought it might be fun to bring a little gift for each of the ladies going up. I didn’t want to spend a ton of money, but yet, I wanted it to be a fun, useful item. After rejecting several ideas, I decided to make everyone a bottle of lavender scented linen water.

What is linen water, you ask? You spritz it on your fabric to create steam (you can also pour it into your iron’s resevoir). Since the water is scented, your entire house will smell like lavender when you use it, as will your fabric and clothes. It makes pressing way more enjoyable!

The recipe is simple:

To make approximately 1 cup, mix together:
1 cup distilled water
2.5 tbsp vodka (yup, I said vodka)
40 drops lavender essential oil

To make approximately 1 gallon, mix together:
1 gallon distilled water (pour off 1 cup—save to use in your iron)
¾ cup vodka
1 oz bottle lavender essential oil

You do need to use essential oil which is available at health food stores. Make sure the bottle says “essential oil.” You can use cheap vodka... save the good stuff for the Mint Chocolate Chip Grasshopper Martinis.

I have used this recipe for years and love it. It has never stained nor yellowed my fabric. Some argue that the vodka has a starchlike quality as well, but I can’t vouch for that. I can promise you that when I use it, my house smells less like a pack of beagles and more like a field of flowers!


Pin It

4 comments:

Terri said...

MMMMM sounds like heaven! Could you use some other essential oil? Or could you combine a few to make a signature scent? I always do this to myself.... just can't keep things simple - gotta over think things. Love the recipe. Gives me a reason to buy V.

Aisling said...

I've been buying the linen water from the store, this HAS to be cheaper!

dizzyizzy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

why use distilled water and not tap water?

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...