Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cheap, but Not Cheap-Looking Business Card Holders


My coworkers are all lovely people, but when it comes to co-worker Christmas gifts, no matter how lovely they are, I want to give something that is cheap!  However, I don't want it too look cheap. This year, I was inspired by a business card holder that I've had for years.  It's handy, hardy, and something that can be used by men or women.  Settled on this idea, I set out to recreate it.

Quick aside, the vintage recipe card holder is what I use to store business cards at home.  It works as well as a rolodex and is way cuter.
I'll be posting a tutorial for this project on Friday.  Come back and check out how easy they are to make.
The biggest hurdle?  Figuring out what material to use.  I kicked around the idea of using template plastic, but I was afraid it might be too thin and brittle. I also wondered if a hardware or craft store would have anything appropriate.  Then, I was chopping onions on a flexible cutting mat one night and realized that the mat was the perfect solution!  You can buy these at kitchen stores, they come in fun colors, and they are inexpensive.  I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond and paid $5.99 for a package of four (see example here).
Another hurdle was trying to figure out what to use to close the lid.  My first thought, elastic thread, was a little flimsy.  My second thought was a ponytail holder, but they were not quite long enough.  On a trip to a local big box craft store, I spotted this stuff called Pony Bead Lacing.  It's a flexible tubing that has about the same circumference as a ponytail holder.  It can be knotted and the knot will stay put.  It's just stretchy enough that you can pull it over the corners to hold down the lid. Bingo! 

The total cost for making 16 business card holders was under $10, or about 62¢ a piece.
If you are a silly person who is concerned that these are too inexpensive to give as gifts, why not stick a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts gift card in it?  However, I'd be perfectly content with the case on its own as it's very useful.

Now, go vote for your favorite!

svs signature Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used mine to hold gift cards in the car or my purse. I want them in an organized place, but don't want them making my wallet fat. I don't want to lose them in the car, or leave them at home when I need them. This handy holder was the perfect thing!!!

Kim

pheobe22 said...

Hey to everyone, it’s my first visit of the blog site; this blog includes awesome and actually best info for the visitors.cheap business cards print

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...